Problems started when Windows XP refused to detect my Zune. I then tried re-installing the software and getting an error like this:
So I scoured the internet for resources, here’s some articles I found:
After reading all of the suggestions, I decided to stick with the following process. Here are the steps LandoJamz of the Zune.net forums. I’m bolding the ones I need to do
1. Update all you can from the Microsoft Update page.
2. Search forum for “DisableRollBack” registry hack and follow that. Restart PC after completing this.
3. Uninstall WMP 11 if you have it. Then go to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/download/download.aspx to download a fresh copy of WMP11
4. Install WMP 11.
5. Hit Start->Search->All Files and Folders->type “Zune” under “all or part of the file name” ->Search
6. Delete any references to Zune. Then clear the “recycle bin”.
[Edit 7/2/2008] 6.5. Run Unzoone - http://remove-it.org/tools/unzoone
7. Download the Zune install package directly from Microsoft, not from Zune. It’s about 166MB file.
8. Right click on “My Computer” from the desktop, and choose “Properties”
9. In the System Properties, choose “Hardware Tab”, Click “Device Manager”
10. Uninstall any “Unknown Devices” found under “System Devices”
11. Still under “System Properties”, click “System Restore” tab.
12. Place a check mark on “Turn off system restore on all drives”. Hit “Apply” then “OK” button.
13. Turn ON Windows Firewall (and disable any third party firewalls like Norton)
14. Disconnect any network cables or disable wireless network. The point is not to be connected to the Internet.
15. Run the Microsoft Zune install package.
16. You will still get the error message, but just ignore. Since you disabled the roll back feature, you will at least have the Zune shortcut.
17. Run the Zune Software.
18. Connect your Zune Device. Follow any “Update firmware” issues.
19. If this works, then you can reverse any settings (remove rollback hack, turn off windows firewall, enable system restore) and restart PC.
20. Uninstall any “Unknown Device” - see steps 8-10.